Thursday, October 30, 2008

Monday we invited Grandma Shirley over for dinner and our annual Pumpkin Carving night. Grandma Shirley doesn't have the strongest hands so Eric is so kind to carve her pumpkin! Guess what Lucy & Grandma wanted this year...
CATS{not Eric's fav. animal}!
Eric put Grandma in charge of picking all the seeds out of the goo. She did not want to do this whatsoever, but we ignored the loads of hints and continued carving away.
Lucy was so excited all night and couldn't wait to light up her pumpkin. Eric went with the traditional Jack-O-Lantern as Lucy and I did something a little more challenging! hehe
{just teasing...he had to do 2}
As I was getting ready for the weekly Tuesday night YW activity, Eric decides to "roast" the seeds from the night before. I got a phone call and walked back to Lucy's room to get her dance stuff ready. In the mean while, Eric heads outside to clean his truck. Suddenly I smell smoke. Lucy and I run into the kitchen to see smoke flowing heavily out of my oven. I opened the oven{not smart...I didn't look first} to find flames that were as high as the microwave. I quickly shut the door and ran for Eric. He came in and did the same thing that I did. Lucy is now crying and saying "I hate smoke...I hate fire." Eric sent Lucy and I outside to settle down. He decided the only thing we could do is let the fire smother itself. After a few minutes it was out and we had a house full of stinky smoke. We set up fans, opened all windows and
I was over whelmed by it all and almost didn't take Lucy to dance to show off her costume. Eric{the level headed one} talked me into it, and I am so glad he did. Lucy is doing so good in dance and all the girls looked so cute in their costumes. I can honestly say that Lucy, along with Eric and I, "smelled" her part!
Still being over whelmed, Eric jumped right in and started to clean. He cleaned everything in the kitchen{stove, oven, microwave, took cabinet doors off, washed all the dishes, vacuumed walls, floors, couches, pillows & used LOTS of Febreeze}.
...if we had them on our doors. Lucy almost asleep, and Eric and I resting on the couch, spot the BAT. In through the back door it came, and around and around it went. Lucy was quick to her feet yelling..."that silly bat is in my house." No, she wasn't excited about it. I took her in my room as Eric cornered the bat and whipped it with a towel. He thinks it was just knocked out...not dead.
Our cute friend Atia, that I serve in YW with, brought us a goodie bag that we were so grateful for. In the mix of it all, I called her and told her I wasn't going to be able to make it to our YW Halloween Party. Atia always picks up where she is needed and runs with it...thanks again.
{I am going to get side tracked with the next picture...
I Love Lucy. She makes my heart full}
We had a very eventful couple of days and we are so glad they are over. Oh ya, almost forgot one thing...the oven was on BROIL! I guess that is Eric's way of "roasting" inside.
I love & appreciate you Eric...you have been so good to clean and help/do everything.
Girls...I have a winner!

15 comments:

Jen and Lance said...

Wow sounds like quite the the night. Does Eric have a matching costume like Lucy's?

Cardwell said...

What a fiasco! At least you made memories, right?? :)

I love Lucy's costume - so appropriate!

Also, I went to Thriller last night and saw Jen dance - beautiful dancer - and such a fun show!

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

quite the post! My little Lucy is also a skunk ... it seems that I am just reproducing your Lucy for myself. :)

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

By the way - love the decorations

Alesha said...

Wowsers girlfriend... quite the events leading up to the big Holiday tomorrow. Loved your story with pictures. Lucy is so stinkin' adorable! Happy Halloween!!!

Emily said...

IT is a good thing eric was cleaning up after himself! The seeds look so yummy! and the bat makes me sick. BUT lucy is adorable

Jen and Lance said...

I can't believe I felt safe at your house when I had my kidney stone! Seems like a crazy place. Anyways go to Thriller down there! Friday is there last show! Happy halloween!

Jen and Lance said...

One more thing..... You've gotten way too good at this blogging thing. The series of unfortunate events was not unfortunate, it was very cute.

LUKE AND MONICA said...

All I can say is WOW. I can't believe all that happened. You guys had quite the excited events. I am glad they are all over with. Lucy is a very cute skunk!

Whitney and Chris said...

Oh my word! What a mess! I'm so sorry! I would totally do something like that, which is why our pumpkin seeds have to always go straight to the trash. Lucy is so adorable!

Sherrie said...

Wow what a story.......the important thing is that it had a happy ending. I'm glad we didn't come back to find you homeless. Lucy looks so cute, as always!

Shenise said...

Lucy you're so stinkin'cute!

Glad the fire is out and that the seeds a cooked.

Jami Hansen said...

OH My Shanel! You guys have been really busy. I'm sorry! Jeanne told me about your events. I could of helped you guys clean. I don't know if I could of helped you w/ the bat. I could of been the one screaming & swearing though. Sorry. Lucy is the cutest little girl. She is a keeper. Do you want Ryker? Cute Blog..

Jami Hansen said...

We missed seeing Lucy on Halloween. Cute costume. We need to borrow that for Ryker cause he always has a stink to him.

Shenise said...

I just love your post. how long would something like that take me?